Saturday, November 27, 2010

Dead Or Alive

Dead or Alive?

~

Autumn is a wondering time

The leaves take turns, and they leave

They drop away, as if to Die

And yet the Tree still Breaths

~

Before they leave, they let me know

Of their presence, I take for granted

Crimson Red, Fiery Orange, Bright Yellow too

They make their statement “We are not dead “

~

They sway gently, in the Autumn breeze

And crisp, cool, morning’s dew

They seem to say “look at us now “

“We give this Beauty freely, just for you”

~

Soon, only the empty branches are left

Standing alone, dormant, empty now

I wonder if they are lonely and, sad

Then they seem to whisper, “Do not fret, you will see again somehow

~

Beautiful, as they appear

The tree’s leaves, of radiant hue

I think I hear them tell me

“I do this all for you”

~

I do not understand why

They have to go away, so sad

Then I remember, they do come again

Something beautiful, from what I thought was bad

~

So for now, in the dawn’s first light

I will watch sadly, as the leaves fall away

Knowing in their seeming Death

Again, they will live in time, have hope, I make myself say

~

This thing called Nature, which God gave to me

Is Mysterious at best, you see

Just when I think, all is hopelessly Dead

In Springtime it all comes back, in its Beautiful Glory to me.

© Dana Price


No comments: